Tuesday, January 25, 2011

How I freeze spinach

I love this baby spinach I buy at Costco.  It is not too expensive and it's so useful!
There's NO WAY I can finish this in a few days though...  maybe until I start making spinach smoothies ;)

Here's what I do with the spinach.   First I spread them on the cookie sheet like the picture below.
Then, put it in the freezer for about 1 hour minimum.  They will be nice and frozen. 

I take out the sheet and quickly put them in the freezer bag.  QUICKLY is the key here since it melts fast.  If it melts, they tend to stick together more and will look soggy.  Doesn't matter much because it will get cooked anyway but when it's not sticking together, it's much easier to get as much as I need.   


I keep a couple bags of these in the freezer.  It comes in handy because I can just add them when I am making soup, quesadilla, omlet, casserole and so on.  Spinach has lots of nutritions.  Gotta love it!

2 comments:

  1. what a great idea! I bought a huge bag at Costco and googled how to freeze it - they suggested blanching it first then draining and freezing - too much work! I like your method better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that! I used to wrap it with plastic wrap, cook in the microwave for less than a min. and freeze them but it is too much work! The one at Costco is ready to eat and doesn't have any soils or anything- so much easier!

    ReplyDelete